Holiday Celebration Checklist
‘Tis the season to celebrate. This year, throw a happy (not hectic!) holiday party to celebrate the most wonderful time of the year. Follow this checklist to have yourself a merry holiday soiree.
Decide on a date, time and theme.
Whether it’s a festive friends get-together or a glittering New Year’s celebration, plan invitations and décor to kick off and carry out a merry motif. Some options include “A Few of our Favorite Things,” “Ugly Sweater Party,” “Winter Wonderland” or even a “Merry Grinch-mas” bash.
Send out invites.
Mail, email and even phone invites are all acceptable options to get the word out. In most cases, two to three weeks’ notice is best.
Plan a no-hassle menu.
For an evening event, serve easy finger foods buffet-style so your guests don’t have to balance plates while cutting with flimsy plastic utensils. Think rolls with deli meats, spiced nuts, dips and crudités. Or, consider a leisurely brunch with delicious make-ahead breakfast casseroles, muffins, fruit and mimosas.
Baking spirits bright.
If you want to prepare special party nosh-ables, make the freezer your new best friend. Nix long hours in the kitchen, and plan food that can be prepared ahead of time and pulled out for a perfect party feast.
Create a new favorite thing.
It’s all in the details. Add some wow to your party with a memorable drink, menu or activity. Try a gingerbread house decorating contest, hot cocoa bar or a signature candy cane martini. Or, amp up the holiday ambience with the incredible wafting aroma of non-alcoholic, delicious pineapple wassail.
Create a festive welcome.
Nothing says joy to the world – or at least to your neighbors and friends – like a front door embellished with holiday décor. From simple greenery to an all-out LED light display, outfit your front door and home with some holiday cheer.
One week out:
- Do your big shopping run (everything except perishables).
- Prepare any freezable dishes on the menu.
- Thoroughly clean your home.
- Pull out your serving dishes. Borrow or buy extras if you need them.
Two days before:
- Buy perishables (bread, produce, dairy and ice).
- Start setting up the party area – buffet table with platters and utensils. Consider making a display of varying heights by covering books or boxes with a tablecloth or a sheet.
- Remove items, especially breakables, and clutter that might be in the way.
One day out:
- Arrange candles, greenery and/or table coverings.
- Perform any touch up cleaning.
- Thaw frozen dishes/edibles in the refrigerator.
- Chill beverages.
- Prep or pick up appetizers.
- Arrange platters of food.
- Set up drink area.
- Designate an area for coats.
- Enjoy yourself!
Put your hosting skills on display in your own Pardee home. Our New Home Specialists are here to help.