5 Ways to Give Back to Your Community on Earth Day
As a leader in green building for more than two decades, Pardee Homes values taking care of our planet and its resources. Green living is something we can all do every day, and with Earth Day coming up on April 22, it’s a great time to show your community some love. Keep reading for five fun ways you can give back to your community this Earth Day, and beyond.
1. Start composting. You may have heard of composting before, but what exactly is it? Composting is a natural way to recycle decomposed organic materials. Did you know the average American household produces around 650 pounds of compostable materials each year? That’s a lot of waste! By composting yard waste and food scraps, you can reduce the amount of garbage that would otherwise be sent to landfills and incinerators. Ready to roll up your sleeves and get to composting? Learn more here.
2. Recycle more. All Pardee homes have the option of a built-in kitchen recycling bin, so it’s easy to remember to recycle. Paper, plastic and glass are all recyclable, but don’t forget about other household items. Is there a closet you’ve been meaning to clean out? Donate old clothing and miscellaneous items to a local shelter or nonprofit. Your home will feel more organized and, most importantly, you’ll be giving your belongings a second life.
3. Join or start a community cleanup. Nothing says “I love my community” like helping to keep it clean. Look for a community cleanup drive in your area; if there isn’t one, organize one with friends and neighbors. Nature preserves, parks and coastal areas could always use a little cleaning, but also consider other parts of your community that could use some TLC. Then, grab some trash bags and let the cleanup begin! Good deeds are contagious – you never know who will join your team once they see you taking care of the community.
4. Reduce single-use plastics. Plastic is one of the largest contributors to pollution, and it affects our oceans and wildlife every day. The good news is that reducing your use of plastic products is relatively easy. For starters, take reusable bags with you when you go to the grocery store – or anywhere you’ll need a bag. Reusable water bottles and straws are also a good idea to keep with you. For food storage, try mason jars or other glass containers. Already have a kitchen cabinet full of plastic containers? Reuse them as much as possible and commit to not buying more.
5. Use LivingSmart features in your home. Green living starts at home. When you buy from Pardee Homes, not only do you get a beautiful home, you also get one that’s better for the environment. Eco-friendly, health-conscious and energy-efficient features are built into all our homes as part of our LivingSmart® program. EnergySmart™ features like LED lighting and ENERGY STAR® appliances reduce energy use, while EarthSmart® sustainable building materials help preserve natural resources. WaterSmart® features like tankless water heaters reduce waste, and HealthSmart® finishes help improve indoor air quality. Last but not least, HomeSmart® features like Amazon Alexa and programmable thermostats make everyday life more comfortable.
Ready to move to a community that values green living? Your dream home and neighborhood are waiting for you. Contact a New Home Specialist today.