VA Home Loans for Veterans
Men and women who have served – or are currently serving – our country are eligible for a unique program that allows them to purchase a home with little to no down payment. The VA home loan program offers many benefits to first-time homebuyers and existing homeowners alike.
What is a VA home loan?
VA home loans assist current military members, veterans and eligible surviving spouses to purchase a home, condominium or manufactured home. The Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA) does not underwrite or issue the loans. Instead, they provide a loan guaranty while VA-approved private lenders underwrite and fund the loans. This loan guaranty means that almost 90 percent of all VA home loans are made with no down payment required.
Benefits of VA Home Loans
Eligible borrowers hoping to take advantage of the VA home loan program enjoy benefits such as:
- Competitive interest rates
- Little to no down payment required
- No monthly mortgage insurance premiums
- Lower closing costs (which may be paid by seller)
- No prepayment penalty fees
- Assistance if you’re unable to make mortgage payments
- Native Americans and veterans with disabilities may be entitled to additional benefits
Applicants do not have to be a first-time homebuyer to qualify. However, the home does need to be a primary residence. The VA home loan benefit is also reusable.
Financing Eligibility Requirements
In addition to meeting military service requirements, borrowers must meet financing eligibility requirements in order to qualify for a mortgage. This includes:
- Suitable credit and sufficient income
- A valid VA home loan Certificate of Eligibility (COE) that verifies to lenders that you qualify for benefits
- DD-214 or other applicable service documents
- Certification that you will occupy the home
- Other documents as needed for obtaining a home loan
Can I use a VA home loan to purchase a Pardee Home?
Absolutely! First, make sure you’re eligible for the benefit by applying for a Certificate of Eligibility on the VA website. The COE is proof that you are eligible for this VA benefit and is required by lenders to underwrite and fund the loan.
After you’ve established your eligibility and obtained a COE, contact a VA-approved lender to get pre-approved for a mortgage. Pardee Homes’ Preferred Lenders can assist you with additional requirements that will need to be met to issue the loan.
Ready to get started? Contact one of our New Home Specialists today. They can answer questions about our homes and neighborhoods and can connect you with a Preferred Lender. Learn more about our military financing options here.
- VA Home Loans and Housing-Related Assistance
- About VA Home Loans
- Certificate of Eligibility Application Process